Sunday, November 05, 2006


We Got A Shot

As odd as this sounds, there are some things about me that a few of my fellow activists "call me out" on. The first is my faith, in addition to my attempting to follow Christ's teachings as best I can; I'm also a Roman Catholic. I've tried to explain this by reminding folks that fundamentalists aren't the only "voice of god" and call up names like the Berrigan Brothers, Fr. Roy and Martin Luther King Jr.

The second is my being a sports fan. But a saying that I've used often during games may apply to the anti-war/anti-imperialist movement at this moment: "We've got a shot".

On Tuesday, the American people will have their best shot since 2001 at slowing down the twin machines of Empire and Fear by possibly returning control of one, and maybe both branches of Congress to the Democratic party.

I can't help but stand in wonder that this is even possible. Of course, being a part of the movement that has been working to cut through Bush's "web of fear" and put up with endless bleatings from the "BushFLock" and the "Sheepdog Media" (AM-Radio/Fox News) makes the efforts more personal.

We've also shown a lot of resiliency; we've bounced back from the 2002 and 2004 elections, "Mission Accomplished" and McCarthy-esque "red baiting".

And, just in time for the elections, the verdict. Which comes as no surprise, we all know Hussein was a despot, but many people, especially in the "BushFlock", forget the role the US played in keeping him in power, and it may be up to the [progressive]"Alternative Press" to bring this to light. Of course, the violence that this may unleash will only show how dangerous Iraq still is.

Of course, it's not like the US has learned from it's mistakes. In Central Asia, with it's convenience to much of the Middle East and oil reserves, the US is continuing it's tradition of propping up despots that promise to "toe the line".

Of course, the only way that the first step towards making America a part of the rest of the world as opposed to an imperialist bully is for you the American people to get out and vote on November 7th. As you can't win a game sitting on your sofa.