Tuesday, May 09, 2006


Into The Breech

Well, something finally got me steamed enough for me to not only write a letter to the editor, but give the paper the "Green Light" to print it.

Here's what happened, over the weekend, I attended a festival. I just needed to do something fun that would get me outta the house for a day. I did have a lot of fun, and even participated in a drum circle.

Well when I was leaving, I was surprised to see a group of protestors. Now what would anyone be protesting at an event like this? They were fundamentalist Christians of some stripe alleging that the fest was promoting paganism and witchcraft.

So I got to thinking--"There are many more pressing issues that these folks could concern themselves with!" Upon my return home, I sat at my computer and typed the following letter to the editor of the "paper of record" for that city



Saturday, May 6th, I attended the annual Fairie Festival at Spoutwood Farms.

On my way out I was surprised to see people protesting the fest, claiming it
promoted pagan ideas.

Now I can say I saw nothing overtly pagan about this event. I instead saw it as
a celebration of life and of creation. But I got to thinking that these people
could put thier time an energy into more pressing matters that a festival.

One issue could be the destruction of our planet, for are we not "stewards
of the earth" according to God?

The problems of poverty and it's related ills are another issue that could be
tackled. "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brethern, you do unto
me", so says Christ.

Perhaps the biggest problem that these protestors could put time into is Bush's
imperial foreign policy, for "He who lives by the sword shall perish by
it"



So what am I afraid of. Fallout at work mainly. The hub I work at seems like a "flyover" waiting to happen. I'm sure I'll get some ribbing for even attending suce an event, but I'm more concerned with the fallout over expressing my opinions.

Guess I'll have to wait and see. . .

No comments: